[CQ-Contest] Yaesu's New Baby, FT-DX5000

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Yaesu's New Baby, FT-DX5000
From: Calvin Darula K0DXC <k0dxc@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 00:04:41 -0400
I know that it's been about a month since everyone was raving about Yaesu's new
FT-DX5000, but I want to put my 2 cents in now...

I had the opportunity to use one during the IARU contest this year at K1LZ. I
did a single op with my callsign. Full SO2R setup - Left radio was the
FT-DX5000, right radio was an Icom 781.

The reviews are true. FTDX5000 has an AMAZING receiver. I ran on both radios,
and the pileup always sounded "cleaner" out of the Yaesu. There was also a lot
less hash out of the 5000, and it was able to handle more signals at once than
the IC-781.

Yaesu also did a tremendous job with the filtering. It was very easy to quickly
adjust the settings, and I was surprised at how good they were.

It's also an ergonomically friendly radio. Throughout the entire 24 hour
period, I never had to go searching through menus to find what I needed. It's
all laid out in a nice, knob format. Very fun to use.

Overall, it's a pretty solid radio. The thing was fun to use, performed
extremely well, and as a bonus - it's beautiful! I even see it rivaling the
IC-7800 in multi-op setups.

Now, some of you are probably thinking I'm full of crap right now, and are
about to go back to your inbox. If you are, then you read my IARU soapbox.

QUOTE, K0DXC: (http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/3830/2010-July/201228.html
)

"No offense to Yaesu's latest and greatest, but I would have thrown that thing
straight through the window and outside onto the street if I knew what it was
doing." (doing, in regards to the clicks).

END QUOTE

Yeah, at that point in time, I would have blown it up with the anti-terrorist
robots Krassy makes. Not gonna lie, I was pretty ticked off when I listened to
a few recordings people sent me after the contest.

BUT, after Krassy talked to Yaesu, and had his technicians look at it... The
"problem" seemed to just be a menu setting that wasn't adjusted correctly. That
must be true, because we also used the radio in the CQ WPX CW contest this year
and our signal was perfect then. So, I guess there wasn't an actual problem. I
wish I would have known about the setting, but it's too late now. I hope you
guys had fun laughing at my signal (or me) during the IARU. I know it was
pretty terrible.

All that being said, the FT-DX5000 is a sweet creation. Yaesu did a fantastic
job with it, and I would definitely suggest it if you're looking at getting a
new radio. I'm glad I got to use one, and I know I'll be using one again in the
near future.

73,
Cal, K0DXC

73,