Re: [CQ-Contest] Slashed Zero Fonts: DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Slashed Zero Fonts: DO NOT DO THIS!!!!
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@storm.ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 12:08:54 -0400
With respect to the practice of using an accented character (slashed
"oh") instead of the number zero, as some people used to do when sound
card digital modes first came on the scene, I agree with Doug - do not
do this. This is not an appropriate way to distinguish zero from the
letter O, and it will cause no end of trouble if you do it.

However, this is not what is meant by a slashed zero font (as distinct
from a slashed zero character in a regular font). A "slashed zero font"
is an entire typeface in which the way the zero character is displayed
on the screen or on the page (the "glyph" for the zero character)
includes a slash. This is perfectly OK; the underlying ASCII character
stored in the file or transmitted on the air is still a zero. Someone
reading the file or copying transmitted text using a regular display
font will not see the slash, they will just see a zero in whatever font
they are using.

The issue with a true slashed zero font is not the principle, it is the
implementation, i.e. finding a slashed zero font that actually looks
good on your screen at the font size you need to use.

73,
Rich VE3KI