Re: [CQ-Contest] The Meaning of Assisted

To: "Radio K0HB" <kzerohb@gmail.com>, "CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Meaning of Assisted
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:12:50 -0500
Maybe so, but that wasn't the question - which was about what differentiated
the category of "Single-Op Assisted" from "Single-Op".  The definition of
Single-Op vs Multi-Op is where the follicle splitting about operating
assistance takes place.

Rule III.A states, in part: "only one person (the operator) can contribute
to the final score during the official contest period."  SOA is an exception
to SO.

What you are really trying to define is "contribute", which in legal terms
is known as "render material assistance".  That definition is the subject of
some debate in and out of court, primarily as it concerns gambling law if
you believe Google, so no hope there.

If I was king, I would define SO such that "only one person may operate,
adjust, or maintain any equipment in the station  during the contest period.
Information about the operation of any other contest station except for
current scoring parameters may not be obtained from outside the station."
What constitutes a station is defined in the contest rules - rules III.1
through III.8 for CQ WW.  What constitutes equipment would probably fall
within the scope of the FCC's "apparatus normally used in an amateur radio
station".  SOA would strike the second sentence only.

So, unless you consider the bringing of a sandwich to fall within the
"operate, adjust, or maintain any equipment" clause, it's okay for one's
significant other (a different type of SO) to provide sustenance, comfort,
and encouragement - even to wake you up.  It's not okay for that significant
other to go climb the tower and break loose a stuck rotator.  Whether it's
okay for the significant other to answer phone calls from an irate neighbor
trying to watch football on Sunday afternoon through your TVI is a subject
for personal interpretation.

73, Ward N0AX