Re: [CQ-Contest] [wrtc2014] [wrtc2010] WRTC 2014 Team Selection Critera

To: <K1to@aol.com>, <ha5pp_zoli@yahoo.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>, <wrtc2014@lists.wrtc2014.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [wrtc2014] [wrtc2010] WRTC 2014 Team Selection Critera Released
From: "Robert L. Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 08:00:46 -0400
> Since the single-band category has a much lower number of entrants than
> the
> all-band categories, it was a concern that a low score (ex: 50 QSOs on 10
> Meters) could earn the same qualifying points as a serious all-band effort
> if  those scores were only compared to other similar single-band scores
> from
> that  Selection Area or Score Comparison Area.
>
> There is no easy answer to this, so the decision was to compare the SB
> scores to the AB scores in that same Area.

Dan,

I echo Zoli's comment, the rule (if I understand it correctly) as you have
it set-up
is ridiculous.

SB 20, 40 (for example), has wide participation and is VERY compeititve.
To place high in the scoring in this category (in the US and EU),
you need to operate as close to full time as possible AND make a huge number
of
qso's and mults.  Some UNassisted SO SB operations have even beaten the
single band
scores from the MM's!

SB 15 will have wide participation as soon as the sunspots increase.
SB 10?  Who knows.
SB 80 and SB 160 vary.

You could easily decide to compare SO SB to SO SB (as opposed to SO AB)
within a region and then award a % muliplier depending on the band.  While
that would
be a bit more complex, it would certainly be FAIRER than the way you have it
now which
is to COMPLETELY PENALIZE ALL SO SB efforts, regardless of band and hours
operated.

73
Bob KQ2M