Re: [CQ-Contest] [RTTY] NA Sprint RTTY Log Check Report Analysis

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [RTTY] NA Sprint RTTY Log Check Report Analysis
From: Doug Smith <dougw9wi@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:14:59 -0500
Ed Muns wrote:
> Yes, this is the crucial question.  Understand that log checking is going to
> give the nod to the sent exchange when the received exchange differs.  But
> ... that doesn't mean the sent exchange is what is in the sender's log!  So,
> sometimes the innocent (who truly logged what was sent) gets dinged.  Life
> is unfair, but trust me, far more log check errors are in your favor than
> vice versa.

I just finished checking the logs for the Tennessee QSO Party.  (results will
be out within the next week)

We had one entrant whose log indicated he operated from one county, but almost
everyone who worked him logged him as being in a different county.  We
ignored what was in the entrant's log & credited those who logged what everyone
else logged.

Seems to me I've read where at least one of the major contests does the same
thing -- detects when what's in your log obviously doesn't match what you
were sending -- and doesn't "ding" the guys you work when *you're* the one who
wasn't logging the same thing you were sending.  I would imagine
*most*, if not all, major contests do it this way.

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66