Re: [CQ-Contest] To spot or not to spot

To: Richard Zalewski <dick.w7zr@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] To spot or not to spot
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 17:06:54 -0700
On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Richard Zalewski <dick.w7zr@gmail.com> wrote:

> This may be a two edged sword question.  If you run assisted do you spot
> your S&P Q's?  From an ethical point I have always spotted my S&P Q's when
> running in that class.  However I have noticed that some of the bigger
> assisted stations do not spot or reciprocate.  Is that a strategical issue?

Hi Dick,

I was in (or close to) the top 10 for spotting in CQWW Phone.  I keep
the WriteLog bandmap all the time.  If the DX station is not in the
bandmap (i.e. not spotted recently), then generally I'll spot it (and
even if I've already worked it).  Sometimes I'll wait and listen.  I
found C91WW all by his lonesome on 20m Saturday, worked him and
spotted him.  Then I waited for the scrum to start.  It was fun to
hear all the big stations calling overtop of each other, when I had
already logged it with 100W.

I have nothing to gain by holding back spots.  People who mis-spot on
purpose (i.e. to move the pileup they're calling in over to something
else more rare) have some need which maybe only a therapist could help
with.

73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us