[CQ-Contest] "you don't need a big station to have fun" (was "wud u cont

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] "you don't need a big station to have fun" (was "wud u contest")
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 00:30:12 +0000 (GMT)
Lee -  K0WA said "You do not have to have a big station to have...FUN!"

AMEN to that!

When I first started contesting as a teenager, I "competed" against a fellow
NNJ contester,
W2NIN (now K2UR).  We went head to head on 15 monoband...and that is ALL that I
ever
looked at.  I had no idea who won the world or who won the for the USA.  It was
a great
competition and we were always very close in score.

Much later, I forget which contest, N2AA was operating from home, using a 3L
10m yagi
mounted to his chimney on his 1 story house.  I put up 2 eight foot aluminum
tower sections and
a small mast and put up my 3L 10m monobander.  I believe that we both used an
FT301S (qrp
only rig).  We went head to head and I know for sure that we both had a blast.
The other big
memory from that "challenge" was at the end when my wife chided me: You let
that chubby
red-head beat you?  So can really tell just how long ago that was!  :-)

FUN is the name of the game.  Winning is icing on the cake, but hey, I'll eat
cake without
any icing at all, every day of the week.

de Doug KR2Q