Re: [CQ-Contest] Best SS exchange yet! -- reminiscence & confession

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Best SS exchange yet! -- reminiscence & confession
From: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 09:42:09 -0500
N4ZR writes "Anyone remember NV6O?  He had all sorts of fits with that call
on CW.  I remember once in a *phone* NAQP calling him as 'N4BO.' "

I remember a CW contest (I think it was a CD Party) from when I was still
living "at home", so it was over 40 years ago.  My CQ on 40M was answered by
a fast op, whom I copied as "K5BIJ".  It took a few corrections for me to
recognize one of the most famous call signs in the world, KH6IJ.

I'm still embarrassed about that.  In my defense I'll say that Hawaii was
pretty rare DX for me back then.  I later met Nose on a business trip that
went thru Honolulu.  He took me, a real nobody of a visiting ham, on a
little sightseeing tour on the way to see the U of H radio club.  A
gentleman in person, as well as on the air, and missed in our community yet
today.

73, Art K3KU (K3OAE, back then)