Re: [CQ-Contest] Frustration this weekend

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Frustration this weekend
From: <w2lc@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 13:25:47 -0500
When S&Ping I often call before hearing a callsign, we all do that first time
on a band, then hope they ID in a Q or two. I've done 100 per hour S&P, and the
non-IDing station is a problem.

A station that doesn't ID often enough to allow me to log the "contact" gets an
alt-w, and a nil in their log. It does not happen often, and I don't feel
guilty about it at all. If you do not know the callsign there is no QSO, pretty
simple.

I wiped out 1 or 2 QSO's this year for lack of callsign. I didn't operate much
though.

Sometimes I'll put the second rx on the non-IDer while working others, but
there is a time limit, I won't wait forever for the callsign.

---

Then there was the big DXpedition in the pacific last year or the year
before....  non-contest
I heard the pile-up and dumped in my call, "worked" him... but no ID, 10 Q's no
ID, 20 Q's no ID, 100 Q's no ID.

I was working on something else and was listening for the station to ID...
Well... 2 hours and 30 minutes later no ID ! Not once in 2.5 hours. The signal
faded out after that, never heard them ID.

I went up stairs to get on the internet to find out who it was. Is that really
a QSO?

As far as I am concerned, that DX operation should be told that NONE of their
40k or so QSO's will count towards any awards. But that didn't happen.

So the conclusion is that IDing is optional as far as DXing and contesting is
concerned. No one ever gets DQ'ed for not IDing, do they?

So anyone who gets a nil from me, sorry, but you didn't ID. Or you didn't work
me.

That happened too, where 2 stations answered, I replied to one, but both gave
an exchange and the second station disappeared even though I gave the callsign
of the first station I worked to let them know I worked someone else, hoping
the second station would hang around. But nope, I'm in the second stations log,
but they are not in mine.

So what happened there? The second station didn't copy the call of the station
I actually worked? Similar callsign? 28WPM too fast for them? I hate to lose a
QSO like that, and they get the nil.

--
73 Scott W2LC