Re: [CQ-Contest] unscrupulous and frustrating

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] unscrupulous and frustrating
From: Doug Smith <dougw9wi@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 01:43:41 -0600
Ward Silver wrote:
> A simple response is to only spot prefixes.  It would be an interesting
> feature for logging software to offer a "Spot Prefixes Only" option.

I think I typed up a similar proposal in a private email to someone else.  It
would work like this:

Modifications would be made in node software to establish optional "obfuscation
levels".

Bit 1:  If set, the callsign in each received spot is replaced by the country
prefix.

        10105.0  ZD9T        02-Dec-2010 0624Z  up 2.350 YES!!           ZD9
<W5GZ>
                                - becomes -
        10105.0  ZD9         02-Dec-2010 0624Z  up 2.350 YES!!           ZD9
<W5GZ>

Bit 2:  If set, the frequency in each received spot is replaced by the lowest
frequency in the subband.

        10105.0  ZD9T        02-Dec-2010 0624Z  up 2.350 YES!!           ZD9
<W5GZ>
                                - becomes -
        10100.0  ZD9T        02-Dec-2010 0624Z  up 2.350 YES!!           ZD9
<W5GZ>

Bit 3:  If set, any comments in received spots are stripped.

        10105.0  ZD9T        02-Dec-2010 0624Z  up 2.350 YES!!           ZD9
<W5GZ>
                                - becomes -
        10105.0  ZD9T        02-Dec-2010 0624Z                           ZD9
<W5GZ>

Any combination of bits could be set -- if the "obfuscation level" is 5, then
the callsign is replaced by the country prefix and comments are
stripped, but the frequency is posted as spotted.

If *no* bits are set -- "obfuscation level" zero -- each spot is relayed as
received.

This level would apply both to spots relayed to logged-in users, and to spots
relayed to other nodes.  (possibly, the node op could choose a different
level for users and for other nodes)  You could even provide for a simple
database including a callsign and a level.  In the past, some DX stations
have expressed a desire to not be spotted -- maybe setting Bit 8 for a specific
callsign would cause spots for that callsign to be ignored altogether.

While this scheme would obviously work best if *every* node supported it, it
would be worthwhile if even only a small number of nodes did.

The idea... is to allow the use of the network to keep track of propagation --
to know, for example, that 15 meters is open from W4 to Europe -- or to
know that a needed country is on the air -- while still forcing anyone wanting
to actually *work* the DX to be able to *copy* the DX.

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66