Re: [CQ-Contest] TR4W Question - location of configuration files and con

To: "'KU7Y'" <ku7y@qsl.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TR4W Question - location of configuration files and contest logs
From: "Tod - ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 10:34:04 -0700
Ron:

The TR4W log files and configuration files are in the same directory as the
TR4W program. You can simply copy the TR4W directory to the new computer and
you will have everything you wanted. I would expect the TR4W program to work
on VISTA or Windows 7 but I have not used those operating systems to run
TR4W. There may be a special .dll that is required for direct access to the
COM ports and the LPT port.

If you wish to deal with the actual files storing the Configuration Command
Statements the following may be of interest.

The configuration file for a specific contest is in two parts. One part will
be in the directory that has the contest log. The directory that stores the
contest log is named something like "2010 ARRL-SS-CW KU7Y" The log file has
an extent of .trw , the restart file is .rst and the contest specific
configuration file is .cfg. The .cfg file holds the messages you entered and
a few other items. All other configuration statements are found in the
TR4W.INI file which is located in the SETTINGS directory.

To see which statements are stored in the contest specific configuration
file [.cfg] you should check the Configuration Commands table which is done
by opening TR4W and then holding down the CTRL key and hitting the J key.
There are about 18 types of Configuration Command Statements that are stored
in the contest specific .cfg file plus all of the CW and DVP messages that
you specify in addition to or as changes to the standard set of messages.

Since there is only one copy of the TR4W.INI file it is used for all
contests. That means if you set Configuration Command Statements not stored
in the contest specific .cfg file and you want to save the set of
Configuration Command Statements you used in a specific contest you will
need to save a copy of the TR4W.INI file used in that contest. The simplest
method is to make a copy of the TR4W.INI file and then rename it to whatever
contest you want to use if for. You can leave the renamed copy in the
SETTINGS directory since TR4W uses only the TR4W.INI file and not any other
.INI file.

If you stored DVP audio files in the DVP directory you may want to make
copies of those audio snippets and save them in a sub-directory of the DVP
directory. The sub-directory name should indicate which contest the snippets
are used for.

Tod, K0TO