Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP CW + Skimmer

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP CW + Skimmer
From: Chadd Knowlton <chaddkn@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 21:47:38 -0800
I feel compelled to throw in my two cents.  I totally agree with all the others
who oppose the use of broadband decoders in the SO category and I can't imagine
why anyone thinks this rule is good for NAQP or contesting in general.  This
broadband skimming stuff should be left to the unlimited categories.
Otherwise, in addition to the right location, the big antenna farm and the SO2R
setup, you need a dedicated SDR connected to a broadband antenna in order to
compete in NAQP.  That realization makes it harder for me to get motivated to
participate with my little pistol wires and tinker toy shack.  Our best
contests should celebrate and exemplify personal skill and focused effort but
NCJ is headed the other direction with NAQP -- turning it into a contest for
robots rather than humans.  At this rate I predict that within 10 years the
winner of NAQP will be nothing more than software running on a PC.  The human
"operator" will just push the start button at the beginning of the
 contest and the stop button at the end of the contest.  Where's the fun in
that?
-Chadd KK7S