Re: [CQ-Contest] FW: [SOU] => Single-op Unassisted <sort of long>

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FW: [SOU] => Single-op Unassisted <sort of long>
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 15:21:28 +0000
> P.S. Please note that I use the terms "packet" and "skimmer" in the
> generic
> sense which is not to specify a specific brand name of any particular
> product, system, or application.  We all know what these refer to.
> Sorta like calling any facial tissue a "Kleenex". We all know what that
> means even though it is a brand name.

I disagree, 'skimmer' can not be generic because the reference software 'CW
Skimmer' has a wide range of uses... and more casual ops like my deaf friend
that uses CW Skimmer as an audio code reader, yet wants to enter contests,
sees discussions about banning 'skimmer' and thinks he can't use CW Skimmer.
It would be better to refer to 'spotting systems' or if you want to refer to
all sources of spotting information, or 'automatic spotting systems' if you
want to refer specifically to something like CW Skimmer.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net