[CQ-Contest] 40M QRM during ARRL RTTY Round Up NAQP CW

To: cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>, qsopartygroup@yahoogroups.com, SECC@contesting.com, ALQP ACG <contest@alabamacontestgroup.org>, NS <nccc-blue@kkn.net>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 40M QRM during ARRL RTTY Round Up NAQP CW
From: John Laney <k4bai@att.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 15:26:28 -0500
Thinking of the potential QRM problem on the weekend of January 8
between RTTY RU and NAQP CW on 40M lead me to think of the mostly unused
frequencies between 7100 and 7125 kHz.  Having only recently upgraded to
Extra, I remember NAQP and NA Sprint contests on CW when they conflicted
with a big RTTY Contest and feeling that it was almost impossible for me
to operate and make contacts above 7025 kHz as a General Class operator.
  Extras can move down into the usual DX portion of the band if forced
to.  The same type of conflicts can practically wipe out the 40M CW
portion of even major state QSO parties.

The frequencies between 7100 and 7125 kHz are largely unused during and
outside contests.  They are available for both CW and RTTY, if not for
SSB in the US, of course.  I hear very little RTTY activity there.  I do
hear some, mostly slow speed, CW there.  Some of the QRP events and the
Straight Key Century Events suggest them as alternative frequencies and
the 7114 suggestion for this month's SKCC Sprint (SKS) was quite
successful.  Some NTS nets have been using these frequencies during
summers nights when 80 is too noisy.  4RN used 7117 (I think it was)
quite successfully last summer.

I think it would be a good idea for state QSO parties which have been
conflicting with RTTY contests on 40 CW to suggest a frequency between
7100 and 7125 kHz as an alternate 40M CW frequency.

I know that one RTTY operator has suggested that the RTTY ops make room
for CW ops on 40 by moving RTTY contest QSOs to the 7100 to 7125 kHz
range.  If this suggestion is widely accepted, CW ops in NAQP may be
able to find frequencies on 40 to use above 7025 kHz.  If not, may I
suggest that CW ops try to use these frequencies as well as those near
the low end of the band on January 8 and 9 and see how they work out.
Let's not leave those frequencies unused while we knock heads with the
other mode lower in the band.

Hope to work you all in the NAQP contests this month.  Get up some teams
from your area and let's make this contest even more fun than ever
despite some anticipated QRM problems.

Happy New Year to all.  73, John, K4BAI.