[CQ-Contest] WRTC 2014 operating model.

To: CQ CONTEST <cq-contest@contesting.com>, wrtc2014@lists.wrtc2014.org
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2014 operating model.
From: "Martin Monsalvo, LU5DX" <lu5dx@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 04:43:28 -0800 (PST)
We talked about past and future WRTC events during our stay at CW5W last
weekend
(ARRL CW test) and something interesting was said about WRTC operation models
(past and future).

Knowing in advance that there will be pro and cons for any possible operating
model, the question is: what should be the best model to determine pure
operators proficiency???

A) One Radio - Two VFOs allowed - two antennas connected to that single radio -
Only one operator at a time can command the radio.
B) Two radios - One VFO active per radio - Radio A can run, Radio B can work
only Mults.
C) Two radios - Two VFOs can be active per radio - Radio A can run, Rabio B can
work only Mults.
D) Two radios - One VFO active per radio - Radio A can run, Radio B can also
run. Allows for alternating CQs on different bands.
E) Two radios - Two VFOs can be active per radio - Radio A can run, Radio B can
also run. Allows for alternating CQs on different bands.

And many other possibilities.

Some of them look more like Multi Single categories and some others do not.
E.G.
having two radios that can work everything alternating CQs is not like most MS
rules for regular contests.

But furthermore, is the intention of WRTC to determine who can be the best ops
using the highest amount of technology or is the WRTC intention to determine
who
are the best op under as similar operating conditions as possible?

e.g. I know Ben DL6FBL is in favor of using the latest available technology in
wrtc as he stated in one of his messages regarding WRTC2010, but well adding
complexity also increases the chances of leaving a team out if something really
complex fails.

Is it necessary to let two radios share the same antenna via duplexers,
triplexers or things like that? Is fully automation of complex scenarios
helping
determine who is the best op, or is it helping who is the best team with the
best tech support, more money to invest and things like that.

Though, to me, option A, together with field day type stations with equally
equiped aerials like in WRTC2010, would be the best option to determine who are
the best radio ops, I'm not saying it should be the choice, but perhaps,  if
full fledged technology will be allowed, rules should be made available to the
audience as soon as possible, so that, the teams with less tech engineering
support and reduced budget can at least try to prepare with enough time.

Regards.

Martin, LU5DX
facebook.com/lu5dx