[CQ-Contest] RDXC updated FAQ - Remote operation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] RDXC updated FAQ - Remote operation
From: Mats Strandberg <sm6lrr@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 16:35:45 +0300
I noticed that the RDXC organizers have made a good effort to update the
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

http://www.rdxc.org/asp/pages/faq.asp

Many questions regarding rule changes have been explained and I think most
contesters appreciate that RDXC is striving for better checking of the
submitted logs. The CAT demand for the three Top-scoring entries makes sense
with the additional comment that technical problems with CAT can be
explained to the committee and be subject to their decision evaluation and
final decision.

However, there is one clause in the FAQ that I still find a bit strange.
Although I do not work my countryside station 100 km west of Moscow as a
remotely, I thought this could be a possibility. Apparently not?

+++++++++++++++

According to item #40:
**
Is it allowed to use WEB stations?

During last ten years, qualitative leap happened in WEB technology. Now,
there is a chance for everyone to monitor the air from any point in the
world. Sure, this is very interesting. But it is a kind of cheating for
competition. Therefore untilization of WEB stations and other means of
distant monitoring is not allowed.

+++++++++++++++

What makes a possible Remote Operation via the Web a "kind of cheating for
competition" ?

All my transmission and receiving takes place from the only QTH I can
operate from. No web is used to have an additional reception or transmission
point than this QTH. I just extend my microphone or keyer cables, as well as
the earphone cable, 100 km from my cozy heated apartment, instead of forcing
myself to sit in sub-zero inside temperatures in my uninsulated summerhouse.

Is that cheating?

Remote operation from ONE (1) QTH, with all antennas and transmitter within
the 500 meter maximum distance, is according to my interpretation the same
as travelling 100 km, walking in meter-high snow, sitting in subzero
temperatures and working the same contest...

Another discussion might perhaps be if I move myself to a distant and rare
island through the web, and make use of the advantages from there... but
remote operation within the same DXCC entity should be perfectly fine for
most organizers who give this a little thought.

73 de R3/SM6LRR, Mats

73 de R3/SM6LRR