Re: [CQ-Contest] [N1MM] CW Timing Issues?

To: <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [N1MM] CW Timing Issues?
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 16:47:14 -0500
There is no reason fundamentally that the modern “walmart special” desktop PC
cannot run N1MM and several other apps with complete capability to key CW
properly.  The timing issues are zero point zero unless you are using ancient
(in a computer sense) hardware.  Even contest speed CW of 45 WPM is FOREVER AND
FOREVER in computer speed standpoint.  This is not a technological limitation
in the practical sense although the “real-time” performance of an OS can draw
focus on underpowered hardware.  I feel this is looking at the wrong source –
the issue is the hardware speed – not the OS.

When I see this kind of concern, more often than not there is a comment about
my P3-800 laptop has this or that problem.  Come on guys, a walmart special (or
pick the vendor of your choice) is selling $400 PC with tons of horse power and
an LCD included!  If you are trying to make your 1995 vintage PC carry the
water, and you are serious about your contest work, then it’s time to upgrade.
Now if a guy is married to Mac, then his options here are going to come at a
higher price.

I have one of Joe’s very FB MKII (same thing as Rich mentions) which has the
Winkey built in.  But my reason for buying the MKII was to enable SO2V.  My
shack PC (3.4G quad) never had me waiting to send CW unless I had it so loaded
up the CPU utilization was near 100% on all cores.  But to do that, a fantastic
amount of applications needed to be running – something I don’t do in contest
mode.

N1MM (and a lot of other programs) will drive the Winkey directly – and that
comes in a DIY kit which is a very economical solution as well for a guy who
just loves his otherwise underperforming PC or mac.

There is no fundamental reason satisfactory performance cannot be obtained from
Win or Mac OS.  If you can’t get decent CW keying capability from your computer
– then you need to get modern hardware (something made in the last 5 years).
And if you don’t want to do that, the Winkey is the easy way to buy some time.

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com