Re: [CQ-Contest] Grid square is a dumb exchange

To: Barry <w2up@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Grid square is a dumb exchange
From: "David Kozinn, K2DBK" <dkozinn@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:15:28 -0400
My 2 cents: I *do* keep a grid square map handy, seems like a pretty simple
solution.

After a while, you get to know roughly where the grids are even without
looking, and sometimes when folks really want to know they'll either ask for
my 6-digit grid (not required for the contest) or just ask for a more
specific location. (Of course, that doesn't happen much if there's a real
pileup going on).The 6-digit is specific enough so that if you're going to
be working folks on the higher bands with beams with sharper beamwidth they
can aim properly.

Knowing that N2IC is in DM52 is a lot more specific than just knowing he's
in New Mexico, so a section name wouldn't help a whole lot. Even for me,
FN21 is a better locator than Northern NJ (my section).

73,
     David, K2DBK
     k2dbk.com
     k2dbk.blogspot.com