Re: [CQ-Contest] win-key ??

To: Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] win-key ??
From: "Gerry Treas, K8GT" <k8gt@mi.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 18:43:49 +0000
Happy Father's Day, Dale

Funny you should ask, as that is what I spent most of my weekend doing is
getting my new Win7 64 bit laptop setup for N1MM for Field Day with CAT control
of my FT857D and CW keying, using two Edgeport (FTDI chips) USB to RS232 Com
ports.  Works like a charm, and I didn't even have to search for 64 bit
drivers, they were included in Win7(64).

And, yes, I know that you can run CAT and CW off one adapter, but I'd need to
build a breakout so I could split the two functions, but that can wait until
after Field Day.

There was a lot of discussion on the N1MM forum about USB to COM port adapters,
about 6-12 months ago and someone mentioned that these Edgeport adapters with
the FTDI chips in them will also work for RTTY, unlike some, particularly those
with Prolific chipsets that wouldn't run slow enough for 45 Baud, but ran at
300 Baud, minimum.  They were available on Ebay for a good price, so I bought
two.  Finally got a laptop with only USB ports so I finally got to use them.
Apparently there are some new drivers out there for the Prolific chips that
work, but I don't know enough about them to comment.

Good luck,

73, Gerry,  K8GT

---- Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com> wrote:

=============

Happy Father's Day to you.
  I'm thinking that I could ask the experts here, so thank you, all you
knowledgable folk, for sharing.
  My family got a new laptop for me, with 3 usb ports but no serial ports. I
have been using a serial port keying interface,
from N1MM to my K2, or ICOM 761, no grid block keying needed.
  The question is, what is the easiest way to implement win-key? What/where do
I find an interface from USB to K2?

Thank you,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy