Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Contest Handicap Proposal

To: w2lc@twcny.rr.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Contest Handicap Proposal
From: hankkier@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:51:54 -0400 (EDT)
golf handicaps are a bit less simplistic than described! each course is rated
each year based on scores of a large number of players, and assigned stroke and
"slope" numbers essentially attempting to equalize degree of difficulty of the
specific course...which is then further taken into account against each
player's personal 10 best out of last 20 scores. in spite of that, the system
is still unreliable for a variety of reasons and is most often not used in
competition except between players who frequent the same course. also, golf
handicaps are based on 90% of the score differential, not 100%, so they still
tend to favor, in the long run, the better player.

how would you "equalize" all the factors to compare your score vs the winner's?
take into account not only distance and propagation but a variety of other
factors that affect the outcome - e.g. - where did the winner, and you, operate
in each of the last 5 contests? fulltime efforts (what is fulltime???)?
equipment changes over time? etc etc etc.

each contest has point scoring rules that make a simple, but best effort, to
equalize scores, albeit none fully accomplish that objective. beyond that it
seems to me that most of the suggestions being made in this thread are biased
to direct an advantage towards a person/group that presently feels
disadvantaged.

my opinion: compare your score to the group of scores you believe most closely
approximates your own situation and adjudge how you "place" for yourself. it's
not for money! the superops can take their shot in WRTC every 4 years.

Hank KF2O