Re: [CQ-Contest] Distance + Path DX contest scoring method (Excel proof

To: "'Pat Rundall'" <pat@n0hr.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Distance + Path DX contest scoring method (Excel proof of concept)
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 15:32:32 -0400
Nice work, but I don't believe you can capture relative polar path
differences by using just the maximum latitude of the path. It's more
complicated than that. There can be dramatic differences in relative path
performance depending on propagation conditions. For example, when
conditions are good, W1 will have excellent polar paths on 40m to UA9, UA0,
etc. But when there's an auroral disturbance, the path can literally
shutdown. A station with a lower latitude path could have a huge advantage
in that case. Time of year also has an effect on when paths open and for how
long.

Further, there are cases where the difference is so large that a simple
factor doesn't reflect it. For example, one year when I was a 20m op at
KC1XX in CQ WW SSB, I sat down at the radio at 0000z and tuned what was
essentially a rapidly fading band -- just a few weak stations to the south.
Meanwhile, the 20m ops at K3LR were running JAs at well over 100+/hr (I
think they logged something like 136 JAs that hour, to a handful or random
contacts I logged.) I ran the corrdinates for KC1XX and K3LR through your
spreadsheet and got points for JA of 5.56 for KC1XX and 5.36 for K3LR. Even
if I had been able to work a few JAs, the point factor wouldn't have made a
dent in the rate difference.

73, Dick WC1M