[CQ-Contest] Unintended Consequences

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Unintended Consequences
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 13:42:59 -0600
For those of you who are game to change the rules and scoring of existing
contests, I would like to remind you of the law of unintended consequences.

The recent IARU HF contest is a perfect example. Once upon a time, probably
before many of you were contesting, the IARU contest did not have HQ stations.
The only multiplier was the number of zones worked on each band. With this
scoring system, it was quite possible the win the single-op, high-power
categories from anywhere in the USA, and outside of Europe. Then the HQ mults
were added. In essence, the HQ mults are nothing more than country mults on
each
band. Virtually every European country activates a multi-multi HQ operation,
and
not very many countries outside of Europe activate a multi-multi HQ station.
This provides a great scoring benefit to stations in Europe, and stations in
the
eastern USA. Those stations can work many HQ stations on propagationally
challenged bands, such as 160, 80 and 10 meters. The result is just what you
would expect - it is no longer possible to win the single-op, high-power
categories outside of those favored areas.

A similar story can be told for the CQ WPX contest, when the number of hours
for
single-op stations was changed from 30 to 36. I'll let someone else explain
that
unintended consequence.

73,
Steve, N2IC