Re: [CQ-Contest] Intended Consequences

To: "'Bob Shohet KQ2M'" <kq2m@kq2m.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Intended Consequences
From: "Christian Schneider" <prickler.schneider@t-online.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 08:05:58 +0200
KQ2M wrote:

Operating on Sunday in the late '80's in WPX used to feel like watching the
grass grow.  Most people
used up their operating time in the first 24 hours.
-----------------

I dare to oppose. When most people have worked each other then you cannot
blame an op-time limit. In WWDX with NO timelimit only ten percent and less
of the allband ops go for longer than 30 hours. The avaerage operator - the
canon fodder the bigguns need to maintain 130+rates - operates 12-14 hours.
That represents their available time budget so that any change in the
30+-hour region for them is completely irrelevant. When a car company has a
100 000 dollar model which most people cannot afford - the interest will not
rise if people were allowed to spend even more than 100 000 dollar.

I will not dig through the available op-time figures of WPX any more.
Figures seemingly don´t help arguing in this topic. Look at the second and
third pages of the results and see the dropping numbers of >30 hours if any
on page four or five. That percentage of ops cant be blamed for an
"explosion" of activity which in my - maybe not relevant smallpistol -
perspective has more to do with the political and economical development in
emerging EU-countries and their comparatively young ham population.

I give up arguing with figures as too many bigguns won´t read them with this
topic for their fear of possibly loosing only one qso - when in reality the
available canon fodder has quickly worked them and can´t work them again on
sunday. But it is not due to op-time when the overwhelming majority of ops
never even come close to the 30 hours. Again: The majority operates about
12-14 hours a weekend. That´s what they can spend regardless whether they
were allowed to operate longer. But we may talk on about the biggun fear
with time limits or talk whether a time limit may spur competetive operating
of smaller pistols other than reducing them to cannon fodder.

Flame suit on.
Best 73, Chris (DL8MBS)

P.S.: Some time stats at
http://www.dl8mbs.de/40984/45289.html