[CQ-Contest] Terrain and antennas

To: CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Terrain and antennas
From: "Bryan Edwards W5KFT" <w5kft@nts-online.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 20:27:55 -0500 (CDT)

We are in the process of moving from the flat lands of Texas to the
mountains of New Mexico, have to get away from the heat.  I need
some input from you guys that live in the hills and mountains.

Our new location is in a narrow valley at about 7800 feet asl.
Hillsides rise steeply about 800-1000 feet starting about 150
feet from where tower will be located.

I would like some comments from you guys that live in the hills
about is it worth it to go to some super tower height to try and
overcome the terrain or would it be best to just put some simple
40-50 tower and live with the terrain.

If you prefer, reply direct to w5kft@nts-online.net

Thanks

Bryan W5KFT