[CQ-Contest] operators for DXpeditions

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] operators for DXpeditions
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 09:42:18 -0400
   The group that organized the record-breaking VP6DX expedition to Ducie
Island
in 2008 is working on a couple of new trips.  This invitation is being sent to
help us form the strongest operating teams possible for these and future trips.

     What does this have to do with contesting?

     We believe that good contesters make the best DXpedition operators because
they:
     - manage pileups efficiently in order to keep the rate meter high
     - focus on logging accurately
     - understand propagation well, and are especially sensitive to short-term
openings to difficult-to-work areas.
     - design stations and antennas for high performance results in a limited
period of time, and for minimum failures.
All of these attributes are exactly what one wants for a DXpedition.

     In fact, a successful DXpedition to a rare location is the combination of:
     - travel adventure: we sail the ocean blue to arrive at unique,
interesting
places few people ever get to visit.
     - wilderness camping a la Robinson Crusoe (a classic novel of English
literature) or Gilligan's Island (the American TV show of the 1960s).
     - Field Day: design a station that is loud everywhere on the planet...
that
can be assembled quickly... is easy to maintain... and, when something fails,
can be repaired without interrupting on-air operations.
     - a marathon version of a multi-multi contest: 16 days or more of non-stop
operations, every day of which presents different propagation conditions.  If
you want to see the rate meter hit 2000+ QSOs/hour, this is where you want to
be.  (And our DXpeditions always strive to include a major contest during the
expedition's on-air period.)
     - hard work, laughs, great stories, and the camaraderie that arises when a
small group sets aside the rest of life for a while to focus on achieving
something unique.
     - one of the most memorable times of your life.

     Intrigued?  Check out the details below... and then contact us if you are
interested (but please do NOT reply to the CQ-Contest reflector).

     Thanks for considering this.

73,
     Eric K3NA
     Carsten DL6LAU
     Radio Expeditions, Inc.

=========

What we are looking for in you:

1.  Good contest skills:
     - Can keep the rate meter high, while simultaneously alert to callers from
rare locations (think "multiplier"!) whose signals might be buried under a
large
pile of louder signals.  At other times can patiently push the CQ button over
and over, squeezing results out of marginal propagation openings.
   - team-oriented operating, working together to maximize results.
   - a flexible, well-rounded operator comfortable with CW, RTTY, and phone is
plus.
     - special knowledge of 160m or 6m is also a plus.

2.  Good physical condition:
     - many destinations are physically demanding: difficult climate, rough
landing conditions, or the need to carry large amounts of material over uneven
terrain.
     - ocean voyage by small ship (typically 100-150 ft length).
     - first aid and emergency medial technician skills are found among the
operating team and ship's crew; however, major medical issues cannot be handled
in a timely fashion at remote locations.  If you have a heart attack, for
example, you will probably die.

3.  Time and financial resources:
     - our typical DXpedition is 4-6 weeks away from home, depending on the
length of the ocean voyage.
     - operators contribute US$ 10,000 to 13,000 each to the costs of the
project, paid in installments before departure.

4.  Personality:
     - things can go wrong, requiring a change from plan A to plan B or C.
Your
teammates may be tired and grumpy.  Uncomfortable conditions over time will
irritate everyone.  A relaxed, flexible, and cheerful attitude to problems and
difficulties is essential.
     - great teams have a mix of operators from different parts of the world.
The ability to get along well with everyone else while tired or under stress is
essential.
     - sometimes the team must choose between options when opinions differ as
which approach seems the best, or even as to which goals are more important
than
others.  You must not only be able to calmly explain your views on an issue and
its potential solutions, but also be able willing to accept and cheerfully
implement a decision which wasn't your personal preference.

5.  References: some people we can contact who can reaffirm how your
personality, skills, and condition fit the job.

Where we are going:

     At present we have two trips in planning stages:
     2012 Mar-Apr: South Georgia... 40 days... current budget $13k/op but we
may
be able to shave $2k and 2 days off these numbers.
     2012 Nov-Dec: Jarvis Island... 30 days... current budget $11k/op.

-end-