Re: [CQ-Contest] Determining ASSISTED vs NON-ASSISTED -- was:=>RE:Cheati

To: "JVarney" <jvarn359@yahoo.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Determining ASSISTED vs NON-ASSISTED -- was:=>RE:Cheating and bad journalism
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 19:03:15 -0400
My reply was in the context of finding pileups. Panadaptors and other ham
things do a terrible job of identifying a pileup.

A good analyzer with peak storage, not some old HP 141 from the 70's but
something much newer, can do a pretty remarkable job. This is because it can
measure the peak accumulated power in a certain bandwidth and then store it.
You after like a 10-20 sweep peak storage you wind up with a smooth stable
trace that shows either really strong single stations or pileups that are
the highest sum of all signals in a bandwidth as it sweeps.

People claim panadaptors are good, but I don't find them any more useful
than tuning around. They are nothing like what summing all the power in a
window (of say 300 Hz width) and then storing highest peaks to make a stable
picture. You don't get callsigns, but you know where the big messes or big
signals are in less than a minute.