[CQ-Contest] Contest Free Zones

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Free Zones
From: "Edward Sawyer" <SawyerEd@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 06:16:09 -0400
NN3W said

"The fact of the matter is that the complaining you hear comes primarily
from people who 1) don't play nice in general, 2) have stpck equipment which
does not lend itself to filtering adjacent QRM (even if the"QRM" is 2.4 KHz
away), 3) don't use the bands except for rare instances, and, 4) and demand
that everybody else acquiesce to their wants and demands whenever they see
fit."

In fact, I believe its more simple than that.  Its people that do the same
thing in essentially the same place every time they use the radio, and some
of them do it often, and the hobby for them has become just that.  So
whether its contesting, or some other interference to that, they get upset.
You can't please these people so we shouldn't bother trying.  Instead, we
should recognize that their life is undisturbed by us 80 - 90% of the time,
maybe 95% depending on what they are doing, and be happy with that.

If you think that someone that lives in a popular beach area that goes to
the beach every weekend, should be able to whine enough to get their own
slice of beach on July 4th weekend because the big holiday crowds show up
every year and it bothers them, then you should also be in favor of contest
free zones.  Personally, I don't even think the WARC bands should be contest
free.

Ed  N1UR