Re: [CQ-Contest] Web SDR's and 'Cheating'

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Web SDR's and 'Cheating'
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 11:53:55 -0700
What makes anyone think that cheating in this manner is limited to
publicly available SDRs?  I could set up a receiver/computer in Europe
and stream the result over the internet to my QTH in the USA.  For CW I
don't even need the receiver in Europe to be digitally controlled as
long as I was able to feed the IF into a simple SDR (even a $20
Softrock).  I could just install CW Skimmer and LogMeIn on the computer
and remotely monitor the text (or visually decode the high resolution
waterfall display) across the entire band.  Even faster than tuning.
If I had a like minded collaborator in Europe we could set up reciprocal
receivers and neither of us would even have to travel.

And I'm not sure it would be limited to bands like 160m.  Because of my
terrain (steep eastward slope) I can put a pretty good signal into
Europe on the high bands but often cannot hear second and third tier
callers through the east coast QRM (I live in Arizona).  Even a receiver
in New England would be a tremendous help.

Anyone seriously believe something like this isn't already happening?

73,
Dave   AB7E