Re: [CQ-Contest] Multiple direction antennas on one radio..summary

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Multiple direction antennas on one radio..summary
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:12:06 -0700 (PDT)

> There are similar problems on 160 in contests, and other
> bands, where a
> tight TX pattern results in others ignoring the existing
> use and they start
> up. This causes a loss of a run because of QRM, and the
> obvious solutions
> are only two... to leave the frequency or to go wide
> pattern on transmit and
> narrow on receive.

In a contest situation once such a lid has started up, it sometime also works
to go narrow on the lid :) Point a gain antenna #1 at the lid during transmit,
and receive on another antenna #2 pointed in a different direction. Usually
antenna #1's pattern has enough leaks in other directions that you can continue
to work other stations until the lid moves on.

I also use split stacks of two yagis quite a bit on 20 and 15 during stateside
contests from MS (single amplifier of course). From MS the two population
centers are northeast and west. If I point a beam at one of these centers, the
other is precisely in the null off the end of the elements. I suppose I could
use a stack of moxons or similar with a wide forward pattern, but that would
sacrifice a lot of dx performance compared to the yagis.

Tor
N4OGW/5