Re: [CQ-Contest] BOGUS RATES: Pot calling the kettle black?

To: CQ-Contest MailList <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] BOGUS RATES: Pot calling the kettle black?
From: Andrew AC6WI <ac6wi@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 23:55:08 -0500
Actually, not strictly true Don.  To abide by the letter of the UK
licence, then you should ID with each station you work.  The UK licence,
in Section 2 Terms, Conditions and Limitations subsection 13(1)(a) states

"The Licensee.... shall transmit the Callsign specified in Section 1 of
this Licence.... during initial calls ("CQ calls") or calls to establish
contact with another Amateur"

They key part is that you need to transmit your callsign when you want
"to establish contact with *another* Amateur". (my emphasis on
'another').  That means you need to ID with *every* contact.

I can't think of many contesters who do this and the chances of Ofcom
ever making a big deal out it is slim to none provided you ID reasonably
often, but that is what the regulations actually say.

For those interested, the UK regulations can be downloaded from the
regulators site at (be careful of the line wrap)

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/spectrum/amateur-radio/guidance-for-licensees/amateur-terms.pdf

The FCC regulations on station ID are somewhat more vague in this matter
as they don't really define "each communication".  They FCC regs on ID
can be viewed at
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2010/octqtr/47cfr97.119.htm

Vy 73,

Andrew AC6WI / GI0NWG