Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW impt notice: optional modification to cabrillo for

To: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW impt notice: optional modification to cabrillo format
From: "Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 02:18:44 +0600
Mike,
Nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes.
Send me your UBN for the last year CQWW CW and I might be able to find there
some call signs that could be used as an example. Suppose you were mult op
at some MOST station. You get some prefixes like EI and ES or IS mixed up.
You work the station thinking it is multiplier and a minute later another op
or you yourself discover the mistake.  When it happens to you as single op,
you just correct the call and carry on. Multy op without the new rule use to
have 3 options:
1) Leave it as it is and get fined for the wrong call.
2) Correct the call and get fined for rules violation.
3) Delete the QSO from the log. No consequences for you but the other party
gets NIL in his UBN.
Would you like to be that "other party" - I guess not.
Would it be fair to allow SO to correct his mistakes during the contest and
deprive MO from that option?  I guess not.
There are other less obvious situations that may happen at MO station during
the heat of the competition. They all lead to the same dilemma - delete or
not delete. The new rule allows sort of escape from that trap and yet IMHO
it does not create additional incentives for cheaters.
Conclusion - pretty rational rule.

73, Igor UA9CDC