[CQ-Contest] unIDs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] unIDs
From: Doug Smith <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:30:14 -0600
(a term from the broadcast DX world used to refer to stations you hear that are
probably good DX but can't be identified.  Of course, the FCC
broadcasting regulations only require stations to give their callsigns once an
hour, and while the Communications Act doesn't require it, Murphy's Law
requires the signal fade during the identification announcement...)

Unfortunately there were far too many unIDs in this weekend's CQ WW CW.  You
don't have to ID after *every* QSO#, but having to wait 60-120 seconds
for an ID is simply not acceptable.##  Being the S&P side of a QSO does not
constitute permission for the run side to waste my time; isn't that kinda
the ham radio equivalent of saving time in a Formula 1 race by having your crew
barricade the track so you can refuel in your lane & don't have to
enter the pits?  So what if it slows down the other competitors?, it's faster
for ME.

After years of declining dupe rates, (due to computer logging, resulting in
much faster & more accurate dupe checking)  I sense the dupe total is
climbing again.  One major Caribbean DXpedition worked me three times on the
same band -- because they weren't IDing with reasonable frequency & I
wasn't sure they weren't a needed mult.  A couple of dozen other stations also
ended up getting duped.  (I find it interesting to note that there is
not a single JA or VE station among the offenders)  There are also at least
three stations that are going to get a N.I.L., as the S&P rates were too
high to justify sitting around 1-3 minutes waiting for an ID from someone who
probably wasn't a mult.

It's my impression this problem was a LOT worse in the CW contest than it was
on phone last month.

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66

# although it would be nice, and many of the best operators were doing so.
## unless it's taking that long to complete a single QSO, which DOES
occasionally happen.