Re: [CQ-Contest] UP Official Notification

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] UP Official Notification
From: "Mueller, David ENG2" <David.W.Mueller@uscg.mil>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 14:03:09 -1000
I did not hear anyone operating split over the weekend, but made the decision
to go split myself for a short period of time on two occasions.  In both cases,
I had apparently just been spotted on packet for the first time on a new band,
and had a very large pileup calling zero beat.  Even with a K3 and filters
narrowed to 100hz and with the gain backed off, the pileup was a single solid
tone and no one was calling a few hz off frequency.  My rate dropped from
200+/hr to less than 100/hr.  Perhaps suprisingly, both times I had to do it
with NA pileups - the Europeans seemed to spread out a bit more when they
called.

In both cases I ensured the frequency up one was clear before going split, and
I was operating relatively high in the band.  Propagation to Oceania is
generally during times when band saturation is not the greatest (which happens
on the NA-EU path).  As soon as the pileup diminished, I returned to simplex
operation.

I regret that I possibly missed the chance to work some who did not agree with
my decision to listen up, however my rate quickly recovered and I have to
assume those calling made it into the log more quickly as a result, allowing
them to move on to the next station faster.  With tact, I feel that operating
split has merit at certain times in a CW contest, where there is much more room
to spread out.

The trick of QSYing does not always work for me - I tried it once and my rate
plummeted for several minutes until I was re-spotted, causing the big pileup to
return (and not solving my original reason for QSYing at all).  There are just
too many contesters out there today who don't tune themselves and spend their
time only chasing packet spots.  This seems to be more prevalent in NA than EU
where there is more activity.

On the discussion of call signing; I signed my call after every QSO.  Granted,
I have a short call but don't feel that my rate suffered as a result (6,300
QSOs).  On the contrary, I have heard the opposite with those who don't sign -
their pileup quickly decends into chaos when no one hears the "up" and stations
start calling non-stop.  Signing your call gives your pileup more time to hear
you and synch their calls.  In the past, it never failed me - every time I
tried "up" only, I'd have someone loud send "CL?" after the first time,
covering a weaker station I otherwise could have heard and worked.  I highly
respect those who do everything to maximize rate and do it right - gentleman
like CT1BOH - but there are many out there who don't do it right which makes
them look like fools in the eyes of their peers.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL (NH2T)