Re: [CQ-Contest] Calling Disease/UnID from the DX side

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Calling Disease/UnID from the DX side
From: Doug Smith <dougw9wi@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:53:31 -0600
Dennis McAlpine wrote:
> So what to do if someone does not ID for two minutes. If you do not have RBN
> or a bandmap, listen to the zone and see if you need it.  If not, go
> somewhere else and come back.  He will probably still be there.  If not, he
> is probably a serious contester and you will run into him later on.

I'm sure this isn't what Dennis has in mind but...  IMHO this could be read as
"don't waste my time trying to work me if you're unassisted".

Will those who are opposed to the use of "local Skimmers*" be forced to
reconsider when it becomes the only way to identify certain stations?

=========================

I might note that most zones, even the common ones like 7, 8, 14, and 25,
contain multiple countries.  That unID Zone 7 station might be unneeded
HQ9R, HT7A, HP1WW, TI5A, YN2CC, or V31AO.  He might also be badly needed YS3AG
or TG9IGI.  Heck, a Zone 5 station might be VP9AD or CY9SAB.

I might also note that despite operating around 30 hours, I only heard V31AO
once.  Unless that was one of the stations I gave up on getting an ID
from & tuned away leaving a NIL.

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66

* "local Skimmer" means one where all the radio equipment is located on the
operator's premises -- i.e., one that's *not* connected to the RBN.