Re: [CQ-Contest] Good "Bad" Calls

To: "'Ken Widelitz'" <widelitz@gte.net>, "'CQ-Contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Good "Bad" Calls
From: "Bob Naumann" <W5OV@W5OV.COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 07:59:01 -0600
Ken,

You're making a conclusion about "-B" calls in the UBN that is incorrect.

A "-B" callsign is not necessarily an invalid callsign.  It might be
invalid, but in many (perhaps most) cases the "-B" denotes a "Busted" or
"BAD" QSO for you - in your log only.

In other words, and for example, you may have logged W5OU (which is a good
call- i.e; it is a valid call and he is an active contester) but you may
have actually worked W5OV.

Stuff like this happens all the time.

So, W5OU is marked as -B in your UBN report not because it is an invalid
call, but rather just because it's a BAD or BUSTED QSO in your log.

In this example, W5OV would get an "N" (Note - no minus sign preceding the
N) for K6LA in his UBN report which means that W5OV would not lose any
credit because K6LA busted his call.

If you have specifics, please forward them to the contest sponsor.

73,

Bob W5OV

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion; it is not necessarily
representative of the official position of any contest committee I may be a
member of.