Re: [CQ-Contest] Reverse Beacon Network - After-Action Report

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Reverse Beacon Network - After-Action Report
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 09:29:53 -0500
No, I'm afraid you don't get it, Barry.  After this, let's QSY this
conversation to Skimmertalk, but I can't leave your misunderstandings
unchallenged on this large and influential forum.

We decided at the outset (Felipe, Nick and I) that the Reverse Beacon
Network should be voluntary, and that we would facilitate its growth,
but would not put ourselves in the position of censoring or disciplining
the network.  First of all, we foresaw how impossible that would be.
You complain about some specific quality problems with a couple of
Skimmers, but ask yourself how you would like the task of filtering out
bad calls from a spot stream like last weekend, when over 3 million
spots were forwarded.  Even if the people trying to do the job were 99.8
percent accurate, there would inevitably be mistakes made and people hurt.

The other fallacy is that we, through our two servers, somehow control
the output of the entire RBN.  Many of our volunteers make their
Skimmers openly available (some have to, in order to comply with contest
rules). A number of DX cluster nodes now offer a wide variety of Skimmer
spots as well as traditional cluster spots.  VE7CC is probably the most
widely connected of these, but he's far from the only one.  We welcome
this trend, because of the redundancy it provides, and the way it
spreads the word about the RBN.

We're glad to help users and RBN volunteers solve their technical
problems, and we will take a resolute stand against anyone who tries to
hack our servers, but we are really just a more-or-less transparent
facilitator for the work of the RBN's volunteers. That's how we like it,
and that's how it will remain.

73, Pete N4ZR

PS I stand by my recommendation that filtering be done at the client end
  as well as at the individual Skimmers.  N1MM Logger has had a bad
call/bad spotter blacklisting capability for a year, and improvements
are underway that will make blacklisting (and unblacklisting) busted
calls just a mouse-click away.

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000 AND now
at arcluster.reversebeacon.net port 7000