[CQ-Contest] Upcoming FYBO - February 4

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Upcoming FYBO - February 4
From: Hank Greeb <hgreeb@one.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:21:53 -0500
This is for the serious contester only.  All others beware!

The Azirona ScQRPions  have announced the annual "event of the year",
known as  FYBO, or (F)reeze Y)our B)... O)ff.  This will occur on
Saturday, February 4, 2012, 1400Z-2400Z.

The rules for  the 2012 event  are posted on their web site at
http://www.azscqrpions.com/fybo2009rules.html

If you read the rules, you will note this is NOT the usual contest, but,
for people living north of the 38th parallel, might be considered an
endurance event.

Note that the die-hard contesters from Minnesota decided to run their
event concurrently.  See www.w0aa.org/mnqp/ for rules of the Fourteenth
Annual Minnesota QSO Party, Saturday, February 04, 2012, which is a
premier event presented by the Minnesota Wireless Association, 8:00 AM
CST (1400 UTC) Through 6 PM CST (2400 UTC)

I  fondly remember that back in 2007 when three of us (Cortland KA5S, Ed
AB8ND, and I)  went to Hell (yes, Hell, Michigan, an unincorporated
crossroads near Pinckney,) and operated with the special event call N8H,
using Feld Hell (a version of Hellschriber) plus CW during the 2007
FYBO.  Hell was frozen over (-2°F, windy, and sporadic sn*w showers)
when I arrived, and the maximum temperature was noted at 15°F during the
day.  Luckily, KA5S found the "Wiccan Wedding chapel was open,  Ed,
AB8ND pulled his van into a place below a couple of trees, and I found a
woodshed from which to operate.  Cortland's KX1 rig would not operate at
15°F, so we made no contacts on 15 meters, but we did "OK" on 40 and 20
metres.  The roads were so treacherous west of us that, when I called my
wife to let her know we were finished, she told me to "Stay in
Hell!!!"   I found a room in a nearby motel, drove home the next day,
and got stuck in my own driveway!

Ah! we've never returned, so if anyone else wants to "go to Hell" - the
fellow who runs the general store there was very cooperative, and the
"Dam Site Inn" next door had good food and hot coffee for sustenance and
warmth.

Note: I've thought of going to Paradise, Michigan for FYBO some year,
but that's waaayyy up in the Upper Peninsula, near Whitefish Point,
about 300 miles from where I live, so I haven't managed the trip yet.
It would be great to have a contact between Hell and Paradise during
some FYBO in the future!

73 de n8xx Hg

p.s. For those reading this far, you might say that the comment about
being "for serious conesters only" could be a slight stretch.