Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer had finally arrived

To: kdtbikes@yahoo.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer had finally arrived
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:52:28 -0500 (EST)
Keith,

If there is no major pileup it is better to zero beat. Even if  there are
several people calling, one is likely to be louder, faster, or not on  the
exact frequency of other callers, and the CQing station will not have
problems picking out you (or one of the others). If the CQing  station is
coming
back to other guys, or not picking out calls, nudging the  tuning knob a few
Hz is a good technique.

With no other callers, is you are very far off frequency, it may not be
clear if you will be heard by the guy you are calling, or the next guy up or
down the band, or both. Lots of not-in-log calls and/or dupes happen because
of  that.

When you find a huge pileup, so long as you are not vastly weaker than the
other guys in the pileup, calling slightly off frequency is a great way to
crack  the pile. Slightly may mean at the far edge of the calling hoards,
which can be  several hundred Hz.

All this applies only to CW. On SSB you need to be on frequency to be
understood. In SSB pileup cracking becomes an issue of timing.

73   -   Jim  K8MR

In a message dated 2/21/2012 8:25:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,