[CQ-Contest] Fw: W1CTN DISPATCH ARRL CW Score - AKA when contesting goes

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Fw: W1CTN DISPATCH ARRL CW Score - AKA when contesting goes bad :)
From: Daniel Severance <daniel_severance@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:04:54 -0800 (PST)
----- Forwarded Message -----

From: dave arruzza <w1ctn@yahoo.com>

To all:
I am Dr. C.W. Morse, currently the Director of BM Addictions and Behavioral
Modification at the Ditmore Clinic. I am making this “DISPATCH” on behalf of
one of your members, Dave W1CTN.

Further reference to W1CTN will be made using his name.

Dave is currently a patient of ours here at Ditmore and he is a Band Map
Junkie.

Ditmore treats a wide range of addictions, but we are the only one that treats
people with chronic and acute “Band Map Addiction”, also known as BMA.

His XYL had him committed…or shall I say admitted, Sunday night after the
recent ARRL CW contest. May I ask how hard is it to call a wife a wife and not
XYL?  These abbreviations torment many of our patients here at Ditmore.

While the attendants were removing Dave’s restraints, administrating a sedative
and transferring him to one of our private rooms with plush upholstered walls,
I had my initial patient discussion with Dave’s wife/XYL.

She reported about him babbling incoherently about needing another “cluster
spot” to work and that it better not be “busted”.  She was very concerned as
Dave was becoming quite aggravated and was raving about “how hard is to post a
correct call sign!”,  “there is a 9A1A and a 9A1AA”,  “who cares if the E21 is
deaf”, “what nitwit sends 3NN for power in an exchange”, “stop calling on top
of the exchange”, etc, etc.

She also told me that if she just appears to be mildly interested in his “radio
ramblings” that Dave will calm down and go back to his radio station in the
basement.

What prompted her to contact us was her observation of the following:

After the contest Dave became very upset of someone who accused his friend W1JQ
of having “key clicks” and how he would “fix that bast@$d” if he ever again
said W1JQ had a bad signal. He called the unknown accuser of being a “frequency
thief” and a thief deserved what he got!

At this time Dave’s wife decided she had enough of his addiction and placed a
call to the Ditmore. Our fine gentlemen, wearing their exquisite white coats,
promptly picked him up for transportation and treatment at the Ditmore. Dave is
presently in the BMA isolation wing of our facility.

Just between us, some the patients in the BMA wing, especially the ones from a
contest club to your south are raving lunatics and in my professional opinion,
beyond any possible help.

I will close my report to you and your members with the knowledge that Dave is
currently undergoing RF shock treatments for BMA. Will it help…who knows, but
it is fun to watch the patients jump around on the table.

Dave has recognized his dependence on the Band Map and after his treatment at
Ditmore hopes to only use it as a tool and not a crutch. It is also Dave’s hope
that someday he will become a “runner” and not an “S & P er”.  There is always
hope, no matter how small.

Due to the severity of his addiction there are no visiting hours. Hopefully he
will be released by the ARRL SSB contest.

You may contact me, Dr. C.W. Morse, Director BM Addictions and Behavioral
Modification with any concerns or others who need treatment. My telephone
number is 1-800-DITMORE (1-800-348-6673).  My door and wallet are always open.

Below is his score:
ARRLDXCW Score Summary Sheet
Operator(s) : W1CTN
Operator Category : SINGLE-OP, UNLIMITED
Band : ALL
Power : HIGH
Mode: CW
 Name : DAVE ARRUZZA
 Club/Team : YANKEE CLIPPER CONTEST CLUB
  Software : N1MM Logger V11.10.3

        Band    QSOs    Pts  Cty
         1.8      54     162   31
         3.5     153     459   61
           7     262     786   83
          14     269     807   88
          21     282     846   95
          28      82     246   43
       Total    1102    3306  401
       Score : 1,325,706

Rig : FT2000 VL1000 1 KW OUTPUT
Antennas : 160 INVERTED L - 80 INVERTED L
                     40 FULL SIZE ROTARY DIPOLE @ 60'
                     20-10 T 10 LOG PERIODIC @ 63'

Soapbox : 100% SP BAND MAP ONLY - N1MM SOFTWARE
For the 2nd year I can report that an operator with fair CW skills and an
average station can product a 1 Meg score for the Club just using the N1MM band
map.
Here is how I did it.

A. SEE IT ON THE BAND MAP
B. CONFIRM BY EAR WHAT YOU HEAR – LISTEN UNTIL YOU GET IT RIGHT
C. HIT THE F2 KEY OR USE ESM TO TRANSMIT REPORT
D. GET YOUR R OR TU AND MOVE ONTO THE NEXT SPOT
      ONLY 23 HRS CHAIR TIME BEFORE MY WIFE HAD ME TAKEN AWAY!!
             GREAT OPENING TO ASIA ON 40 METER SAT MORNING