Re: [CQ-Contest] Is QSL Bureau pertinent in today HAM Radio

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is QSL Bureau pertinent in today HAM Radio
From: Ktfrog007@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:57:49 -0400 (EDT)
The W1 QSL bureau does not accept envelopes or stamps, just money (see
their web site).  This works extremely well.
In addition, I have a good sorter, KV1J.  I receive regular shipments  and
enjoy sorting through the cards.
I am completely happy with the W1 bureau operation.
I still see a declining role for QSL bureaus, but will continue using them,
 in and out.
Kermit, AB1J
In a message dated 3/28/2012 6:37:00 P.M. GMT Standard Time, jc_ki7y@q.com

I  am  a Bureau sorter in the 7th call area bureau.  I  thought I  would
add some insight from the volunteers perspective.

Its not  a huge time consumer to handle the cards but has many small
hassles that slow  things down. A fairly large percentage do not use the
And some  that do make things tougher for us.  Some who receive lots of
cards will  only provide a few SASE with 1 oz of postage.  Others send lots of
money  and envelopes but receive very few cards.  In some cases almost  none.

The current postage regulations make it very complicated  to mail the small
packages.  The basic envelope is easy.  From there  its more postage if
there is a metal clasp. Its more if its too stiff or  thicker than 1/4 inch.
Also only so many can be stuffed into a 6x9 inch  envelope.  In some cases
larger users will use the flat rate boxes.   Thats the most cost efficient but
unless they are getting hundreds of cards  not too useful.

The possibility of also doing domestic cards was  approached a few years
ago. Other than the fact it did not happen I do not  know anything of the

To sum it up there is a lot of  volunteer work to keep the ARRL Inbound
bureau functioning.

Personally  I still like the paper QSLs but I do think LOTW should be used.
 And  there are some stations around the world that QSL for every contact
on each  band and mode for every QSO.  That adds quite a lot to the volume.
Personally I do not like that at all.  Its one thing to confirm a 14Mhz  QSO
on CW for some one but not for the many contest QSOs every  year.