Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY Sprint Questions

To: "'John Reilly'" <reillyjf@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY Sprint Questions
From: Ed Muns <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 11:05:08 -0700
1.  Although strange to CW/SSB Sprinters, it is common practice in all RTTY
contesting to end CQ messages with 'CQ', and only 'CQ' after your
callsign(s).
2.  Just send your callsign ... once or twice depending on the specific
situation.  No need to send it twice if once will get through.  You just
need to judge the balance of brevity (speed) vs. reliable communication.
3.  Generally, yes, send unique exchange elements twice.  This definitely
applies to the serial number in RTTY contests, but judgment (again!) applies
to the NAME and QTH.  If you sense that most recipients will get NAME and/or
QTH correct with just one copy, then keep the message short.  Remember, in
CW and SSB, we only send all three exchange elements once.   RTTY serial
numbers really do need to be sent twice because a small noise spike could
transform one number and you'd never know it by ear like you do on CW and
SSB.

Ed - W0YK

John, N0TA, asked: