[CQ-Contest] solar eclipse, beacon

To: nmqrp <nmqrp@yahoogroups.com>, abqham <abqham@yahoogroups.com>, cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>, QRP-L <QRP-L@mailman.qth.net>, Bob Applegate <bob@applegate.org>, adxa <adxa@yahoogroups.com>, k7ra@arrl.net
Subject: [CQ-Contest] solar eclipse, beacon
From: Bruce Draper <bruceaa5b@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 23:13:01 -0600
Sometime in the last decade or so, I monitored several of the WWV
frequencies during a solar eclipse and was surprised to see how deep
and how immediate the effect was. I think I still have the graphs
around here somewhere, if any of you are interested.

This time, I'm lucky enough to be in a great spot (right on the
centerline!) to witness the annular eclipse on Sunday evening, May 20.
But I'll be outside the shack observing and photographing instead of
watching S meters for WWV carrier strength.

Instead, I'm going to set up beacons on 20 and 40 meters, and I hope
some of you will want to log signal strength as the event unfolds.
They'll be near 7.101 and 14.101 MHz from about 2300Z Sunday 5/20 till
0300Z Monday 5/21. That's 5 PM till 9 PM here in New Mexico, so the
bands will be changing anyway near sunset. To help us sort out the
effects, I'll run the beacons again the next day so we can get some
baseline data.

"First contact" between the moon and Sun is at about 0030Z, the peak
is at 0133Z and lasts several minutes, our local sunset is at about
0220Z, and the eclipse is done about 10 minutes later.

I hope some of you will make some observations, take a little data,
and either post it here or send it to me. Have fun!

73,
  Bruce AA5B
    Los Ranchos, NM

Please feel free to pass this eMail along to others.