Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Control in Contests

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Control in Contests
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 09:28:04 +0100
On 04/06/2012 03:40, Randy Thompson K5ZD wrote:

> I very much like the idea of a club or list of people who
> pledge to follow ALL of the rules in contesting.

This is an admirable initiative in some ways.  How
could any reasonable fair-minded person not sign up?

I can't help feeling it may be premature and irrelevant.
It appears to assume that ALL of the rules in contesting
are intrinsically fair and reasonable.   The implication
is that, by appearing on the list, we can experience the
warm glow of knowing we are doing "right" - unlike the
others who, for whatever reason, have not signed.

There is no need for such a formal pledge any more than
there is a need for another to confirm we follow ALL of
the rules for living.

In the days of paper logs, we had to submit a signed
declaration with each log.  With electronic logs, the
declaration is assumed, but largely forgotten.  One
practical solution is for the logging software to
display the declaration and ask for the operator's
agreement, by having to type the word YES, before the
Cabrillo log is created.

The declaration, in effect a pledge that is renewed
with each entry, is good enough for me.

73,
Paul EI5DI