Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted or not assisted question

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted or not assisted question
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 14:49:11 +0100
On 03/06/2012 22:50, Dick Green WC1M wrote:

> There were two problems with completely outlawing CW decoders. One, they had
> been permitted for a long time, and there's generally a reluctance to take
> away something that has been permitted.

It seems to me this is a long way of describing the
"do nothing" option.

> Second, RTTY and other digital modes
> require a single-channel decoder, and it would have required some special
> language to outlaw one kind of decoder but allow other kinds of decoders.

Please consider this - it's simple and unambiguous.
   CW decoders, whether single or multi-channel, are
   not permitted for Single Op.

> This is yet another reason that we chose to focus on the information
> provided by the technology, not the technology itself.

I believe this approach is flawed because the focus
is on the end result, and it disregards the means,
no matter how inappropriate, by which the result is

Paul EI5DI

CQ-Contest mailing list