Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted or not assisted question

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted or not assisted question
From: "Yannick DEVOS (XV4Y)" <yannick.devos@online.fr>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 20:23:30 +0700
Michael, Vladimir,

Vladimir, I agree with the 3 points you gave in your e-mail.
Michael, I am in the same situation than you.
I started CW in march last month and tried a few contests in august.
I found that :
- the usage of cut-numbers made me lost in the first contest and operating
badly in the other ones
- I was not good for decoding serials at 15 wpm or more with good accuracy.

I also think using a decoder is assisted, however my choice was not to use one.
I preferred to limit my participation to "quiet bands" (80m and 10m) were XV is
still rare and the other operators were more forgiving.
I also decided I needed to improve my CW skills before going more serious in CW
contests.
There I am, good for DX at up to 20wpm (but don't ask me too much) and I should
be good for contest at 15-17wpm, just I don't have time for contest!

73,
Yan.
---
Yannick DEVOS - XV4Y