Re: [CQ-Contest] [CQ-contest] KP2MM Disqualified in ARRL CW 2012

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [CQ-contest] KP2MM Disqualified in ARRL CW 2012
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 00:52:55 +0000
WC1M replied to W0MU:

> I think it's somewhat silly and a bit of a stretch to call the presence of
> the control operator "assistance". That person isn't doing anything, other
> than lending the contest operator use of his/her license. That person is
> also lending the contest operator use of his/her station, QTH, food,
> bathroom, etc. Why is that different? In no case is the control operator
> actually doing anything that affects the competition.

Without the control operator, the lower class licensed operator couldn't
even operate the station legally outside the privileges of the lower
class licence.

That the control operator is needed, by itself, introduces another
person who although might not do anything (even touch the equipment),
his presence is a prerequisite for operation of the station.  If I'm not
mistaken, the control operator is also ultimately the one who is
responsible for the station's operation as far as the telecom authority
is concerned.

The aspect of operation of the station relevant here is transmitting.
Without transmitting, there can be no contacts made.  Contacting other
stations is the basis of the competition.  Again, without the control
operator, the lower class licensed operator can't legally transmit
outside the privileges of the lower class licence.

Classification of entries in the competition is based on number of
operators & until the rules of the competition mention "anything that
affects the competition", then that is not a consideration.  Once again,
I believe that if what the competition was about - operating (finding,
working & logging other stations) - were to be clearly defined in the
rules of the competition, this & a lot of the other things that some
people seem to have a hard time getting their heads around wouldn't be
the problem they have become.

I note the discussion here is largely amongst Ks & must point out that
if you guys don't quite get it, then the rest of us (the majority, I
would suggest) probably won't, simply because of language & not knowing
all these unwritten bits that you guys keep applying to things.

73, ex-VR2BG/p.