Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: Bandpass filter

To: "Guy Olinger K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>, "cq-contest reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: Bandpass filter
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:22:48 -0400
>I see the current max data on the pdf pointed out to me, but more spec
> sheets seem to have no data on current data.  Does someone know of a
> listing for 5 or 10kV QRO caps with current ratings?  73, Guy.

Snubber micas are good capacitors, generally they work out better than
conventional micas in RF systems, but they are not really characterized for
high power RF applications. Over the years the data sheets have changed.
Early snubbers somehow got classified with regular mica's, and the detailed
RF current data that **very sparsely** did appear has now disappeared.

The long and short is, unless the circuit has exceptionally high circulating
currents, a CDV16 or larger case will work to several hundred watts. Beyond
that, it is safer with a high voltage multilayer ceramic chip or large
multilayer mica.

If you want to know the ratings, I'm afraid the only way is to actually
characterize or test the part yourself. That's what people using the parts
wind up doing, if they don't chronic field failures.

Otherwise you have to buy a real RF part that is tested and characterized,
like a multilayer chip. That would be these parts
http://www.cde.com/catalogs/MCH-MCHN.pdf

or similar parts from the best company for RF parts,  American Technical
Ceramics. :-)