Re: [CQ-Contest] 500 Watt Amp or 1500 Watt Amp

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 500 Watt Amp or 1500 Watt Amp
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 06:03:30 -0400
N5ZC:

 >So the question, does the extra 1000 watts make a difference? as
compared to the ability to make quick band changes using a solid state amp?

         I agree with the comments you've already gotten but here's
another point to consider.  Maintaining a run frequency means
potential intruders must hear you.  I operate in some QRP contests
and one of the worst problems is that other stations cannot hear my
backscatter signal.  I can be enjoying a nice run and then suddenly
discover callers answering another QRPer (who I cannot hear).

         Backscatter is normally weak on the higher bands so 5 dB can
easily make the difference between someone hearing you and not.  On
the lower bands the problem shifts to DX stations who may not hear
you and begin CQing on your run frequency.  Europeans on 160 are a
special problem because their local QRM level is often high and they
will begin CQing on your run frequency.

         5 dB does not make much difference when signals are strong
but it can make a huge difference when signals are at or below the
noise floor, which applies just as much to potential intruders as it
does to desired callers.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV