[CQ-Contest] Bad Format Logs

To: cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Bad Format Logs
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 20:10:15 -0400
I think that people need to be responsible for inspecting their own logs,
and reading instructions that plainly say that the last log from a station
will be used, etc, etc.  That is NOT the contest organizer's problem.   Or
as they say elsewhere, RTFM.  They may figure out an adjustment to pick up
on a problem and auto-fix something else next time.  But your REQUIRING
that of people doing it all for free on their own time?  You pay them a
salary and you can tell them to do whatever.

At the ARRL, the contest folks are paid employees, and League members in
good standing have the right to say things.  CQ Magazine is a paid
enterprise, but the contest guys are ALL VOLUNTEERS.  And they have no
ability to delay magazine publishing deadlines to get in a last change.  So
please exercise a little respect.  If they didn't volunteer to do all that
work, do you think there would be any CQ contests?

They do the work, they call the shots, period.  We make polite, respectful
suggestions and thank them for all their hard work.

When a contest cycle is over, we want organizers to look at the results and
feel good about everything.  We want them to do it all over again for the
next contest.

In local volunteer firehouses, particularly in kitchens, there are signs on
walls:

  "Your mother does not work here.  Clean up your own mess."    Or...

   "The world does not exist to wait on you hand and foot.  Clean up your
own mess."  Or...

   "Did you think we're being paid to wait on you?  Clean it up yourself."

On a given day, seems we need those signs in a lot of places.

73, Guy.