Re: [CQ-Contest] Do I need to operate assisted to figure out the calls?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Do I need to operate assisted to figure out the calls?
From: Bob Henderson <bob@5b4agn.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:12:43 +0000
This practice is becoming all too common.  A legacy of cluster and RBN.  We
can't turn the clock back, so these technologies are here to stay.  But we
should not have to put up with this growing bad practice.

I think the time has come for contest sponsors to mandate a minimum ID rate
at say 3 Qs.

Referee access to SDR technology would make identifying offenders a
practical proposition.

I would happily make a complaint about stations who don't ID after 3 Qs.
It wouldn't be personal.  After all, I wouldn't know who they were. All I
need provide is time and frequency and the rest could be recovered from SDR
recordings.

I sincerely hope sponsors will move to clean up this mess before it gets
any worse.

On at least half a dozen occasions IOTA I listened to stations with >10Q
runs and no ID.  I didn't hang around to find out who they were.

73 Bob, 5B4AGN